If you have a need for emergency cash for unexpected travel, there are a few options that could work well. When your emergency funds or savings account doesn’t cut it for all the costs that can come with a last minute trip, things like loans, different assistance programs, and side ventures, can all help you get the funds you need.
Below is more information on these options to get emergency cash for unexpected travel.
Getting a Loan for Emergency Cash for Unexpected Travel
In some cases, a loan may be the right option when you need emergency cash. Below are a few loan types that make funding fast:
- Title Loans Title loans, also sometimes referred to as car title loans, or auto title loans, work by using a borrower’s vehicle as collateral. The title loan amount is based on the value of your vehicle, your ability to repay the loan, and income. And so, having bad credit is okay for eligibility. Title loans work extremely fast, and once approved, you could have the cash that you need as soon as the next business day.
- Personal Loans personal loans are one of the most common kinds of loans in the industry, they can be used for almost any expense, the amounts for them vary quite a bit, and they have a wide range of repayment plans available for borrowers. For those with less than perfect credit, a secured personal loan may work.
- Credit Cards credit cards work well for emergency travel expenses. One reason for that is most people already have a few credit cards they can use.
Another reason being, they can come with all kinds of travel rewards. When traveling instead of using their debit card, many people turn to credit. They will then transfer funds from their checking account to pay off their card. This way, they can get perks while spending.
Perks of a Personal Loan
If you have a good credit history, general interest can be fairly low, and repayment can be pretty flexible.
Another thing to keep in mind is that regardless of whether you use a credit card for travel expenses, is that taking one or two for international travel is often a good idea.
- Payday Loans payday loans use the security of the borrower’s paycheck to make funding available. Similar to car title loans, these can make funding happen very quickly, and don’t require a good credit history. They are short term (about two weeks long) and do have high interest rates for the few hundred dollars that they make available.
- Borrowing from Friends or Family another option to consider is to look to friends or family for a loan. When borrowing from a family member or friend, things can become a little complicated.
However, no interest may mean a better option for your personal finances and peace of mind. When you are at an international location, consider a wire transfer for receiving the funds.
Paying for Travel with Grants, Rewards, Assistance Programs, Crowdfunding, and Insurance
You may not think of grants, reward programs, assistance programs, crowdfunding, or your health insurance, when paying for unexpected travel, however, depending on your reason for travel, these options may make it possible for you to be able to get to where you need in the United States, or abroad.
- Look to Assistance Programs for Medical Related Travel for those who need to travel for medical care or a medical emergency, there are many assistance programs that can help take care of both with travel expenses and sometimes medical expenses as well.
Here are some of the emergency assistance services that help individual and families who are facing unexpected travel related to medical care:
- Miracle Flights
- Patient AirLift Services (PALS)
- Global Medical Relief Fund
- Mercy Medical Angels (MMA)
- Air Charity Network
- The National Patient Travel Center
- The Northwest Airlines KidCares
- Midwest Airlines
- The National Association of Hospital Hospitality Houses
- Ronald McDonald House
Review Your Health Insurance Policy
Another option when looking to emergency cash for unexpected travel, if related to medical expenses is with your health insurance policy:
If you are covered by a health insurance plan, ask your insurance company about what they do and don’t cover medical related travel. Here is a general criterion that health insurance companies will look at:
- The treatment must be medically necessary.
- The treatment/medical procedure/care must not be available locally.
- The total return trip distance must exceed a specified limit.
If you do qualify for help with your insurance plan, ask about how much of the cost they will accommodate for the travel, and other detailed questions to make sure you know exactly what you have covered with both your medical bills and medical travel, and what travel documents you’ll need to keep on your trip.
Using Credit Card Companies’ Rewards Programs to Pay for Unexpected Travel:
There are many credit cards that have different perks that can pay for various travel expenses. You may be able to receive a discounted plane ticket, a free meal, or funds for your living expenses. Additionally, if you stay at certain places, you may get additional perks from the credit card company. And so, with any of your credit cards, double check their reward programs to get the most out of traveling.
- Look into a Familiarized Tour (FAM) a familiarized tour or FAM, is a discounted or free tour for those who work in the tourism industry, if you have access to this kind of tour, it is definitely worth inquiring about.
- Volunteering or Working Abroad you may want to consider this option if you plan to travel and stay for a while. Volunteering and working abroad could mean having travel costs covered. In some cases, these organizations will provide things like health insurance, along with support for an extended living situation and the living expenses that can come with that.
- Crowdfunding or Fundraising crowdfunding is another option to look into when your emergency savings or safety net just doesn’t cut it. These work well when you are facing the need to travel for medical emergencies, or other kinds of personal emergencies. The great thing about crowdfunding is that it can be accessible by locals and people across the world.
A Few Ways to Earn Extra Income for Emergency Cash for Unexpected Travel
If you have a window of time between your travel date, you may be able to do some side work to get the extra cash you need. Here are a few options to consider:
- Monetize a skill or hobby.
- Look into side jobs, like food delivery, or a driving service.
- Consider selling some stuff, you are willing to part way with it.
- Try to set aside and save as much money as you can. Even a month’s worth of savings could mean enough funds to get where you need to go.
If you are considering a loan for emergency cash, then start with Max Cash Title Loans. We are the #1 nationwide title loan marketplace connecting people with the right title loan for them. 4 5 Our process is fast, and once approved with a lender, the funds can be transferred straight to your bank account. 1 2
And no matter where you are in the world, a simple wi fi network is all you need to connect with us. To get started, simply fill out an online title loan application. We also take phone calls or texts seven days a week, so reach out to us today!
Getting emergency cash for unexpected travel doesn’t have to be a hassle or stressful. Something as simple as using a credit card or a loan can work. While medical emergencies may be covered by nonprofits or health insurance policies. You could also consider taking on a side job or side project to get the cash you need.